Online Source of Latest News on Entertainment, Business, Politics, Sports, Health, and Lifestyle World

 

Live Action Sailor Moon update (Interview with Shibue Jyoji)

For your convenience we've coalesced our in-depth Live Action Sailor Moon coverage into one directory. Be sure to check out the Pretty Guardian Sailor Moonarchives for all our articles!

Saturday, November 8th - 12:01 am
Update - Jay NavokLive Action Sailor Moon update (Interview with Shibue Jyoji)

 Don't think you're special- you were only hired because you were the only teenage guy they could find dumb enough not to have gotten a haircut in a half decade.
Killing some time before the next synopsis, I've translated the Takeuchi interview with Shibue Jyoji (Tuxedo Mask) from the recent update to the "Princess Room" part of the Sailor Moon channel site.
Note that these interviews are a continuation of the previous month's interviews.
Actor Interviews!

Tuxedo Mask (Chiba Mamoru)'s actor Shibue Jyoji 


Q1. What's your cell phone's melody?
Shibue: I use a variety of different melodies but the main one is Zebra's "Baby Girl."

Q2. If there's a nickname they call you on the set, could you tell me it?
Shibue: Mamo-chan!

Q3. In one word, tell me what you felt when you found out you were chosen to be Tuxedo Mask.
Shibue: "Eh!? Will it be ok?! (If its me)" (laughs)

Q4. What were your thoughts when you first put on the Tuxedo Mask costume?
Shibue: "Its incredible....! (For various reasons)" (laughs)

Q5. What were your thoughts when you first went to the set? What was the set like, and your impression of the staff?
Shibue: Its kind of hard to imagine but I was actually really nervous, and then that nervousness just went away. The entire staff is just made up of such nice people; even if they were really busy they kindly helped me out.

Q6. What were the difficult and what were the fun times on the set?
Shibue: There are so many scenes where Tuxedo Mask is running, its actually quite hard! And in the summer, man that was difficult...
Sawai Miyu-chan interjects: "But since you didn't have any hairpiece it was quite cool, wasn't it?!"
Shibue: Ah, and to tell you the truth, the silk hat was a lot easier on me than the mask. The fun times, hmm. Just the fact that I'm a part of this program, doing this kind of work, that in itself is the fun part!
Q7. Have you seen the manga and/or the anime?
Shibue: Of course! I used to watch the anime as a little kid and it was very enjoyable. As for the manga.... the stories were so serious, it was really surprising!
"Tuxedo Obvious" doesn't need to say anything nice about the lady who gave him his job. His attack is saying the exact and INCREDIBLY STUPID thought he was actually thinking, "hyuck, she looks like she writes comicy books." At least he's an honest idiot.
Q8. What are your thoughts of Takeuchi-sensei?
Shibue: The first time I met her is when I was first getting the costume prepared for me. The feeling I had was that she really looked like someone who draws shoujo manga. [Whaaat? He has theperfect chance to suck up to her, and look at what this guy says. "This manga author looks to me like she draws manga!"]
Q9. Of the five Sailor Senshi, which one of them is your preferred type?
Shibue: Hmm. (I'm rather worried about answering this one) Lets see the character I like is...
Sawai Miyu-chan interrupts: "Ami-chan! Ami-chan, right?!"
Shibue: I guess that'd be Rei-chan...
Sawai Miyu-chan interrupts, again: "Why isn't it Usagi-chan?!"
Q10. How do you want to play the role of Tuxedo Mask from now on? Also, what other kind of works/media would you like to appear on?
Shibue: Well, Tuxedo Mask, he's the kind of character where you can never really tell his feelings by reading his face, right? And he even uses a mask. But I think I want to play the role in a way where the people who see me on TV are still able to see the emotions and charm of the character. As for what other things I'd like to do... a character who's personality is the exact opposite of Tuxedo Mask's.

Q11. On your days off, what do you do to pass the time? Do you have any hobbies?
Shibue: I go hang out with my friends or lazily watch TV. (laughs) As far as my hobbies, why that would be darts! (A rather appropriate skill, right?) 
Takeuchi: Thank you for your time.


Now time for something completely different. If you recall in 
yesterday's update Azama Myuu said she was listening to a new band with the incredibly Engrish title, "Road of Major". And I said that if I found it at Mitsuwa/Kinokuniya today, I'd purchase it. Well, like Tuxedo Bluntness up there, I'm also an idiot who keeps his word. I spent a while looking for the CD in their CD section, and ended up finding it right next to the counter in their "Just arrived" area. There were only 2 copies left so I guess they're rather popular even though this is their first full CD (their webpage says they've had a few singles out but this is the first album) and even though Kinokuniya overcharges.
Without further ado, introducing a new update bit here at Genvid:

What the heck are the senshi doing?!

Whenever I find what one of the senshi is writing about in her diary, I'll update this segment. We actually have two parts in today's update because I found another diary reference at Mitsuwa. First lets look at "Road of Major."
 Click the picture to see the full scan.
I figured I'd  listen to this in the car on the way back from Mitsuwa, but I forgot that my CD player wasn't working. (The iPod is great, but it means I have to get home to rip the disc and transfer it before I can listen in the car.)
I'm not someone with much knowledge of music, so I don't really know what genre is appropriate to label the band as, but they're basically rock and there's actually a variety of song styles across the CD. Its only 45 minutes, though, and many of the songs are only 3-4 minutes long.
The group is pretty good and the CD will definitely more play now that I've encoded it.
So, want to know what Jupiter has been doing lately? [On the train, in the bath, and in her room!] Here's your chance to find out [you stalker]- download the first track from the CD that she's addicted to. And now that you've done what she requested of you in yesterday's diary- listened to "Road of Major"- I'll bet you feel special. Next time she's screaming at you while pointing out the court papers that say you need to stay at least 500 feet away, make sure to mention it to her. Many, many thanks to Bill Heineman for this server access; hope he doesn't mind me putting on this incidentally-related file on there. Please go visit his site!
Next up, remember the "Bubble Tea" drink that Hama Chisaki mentioned a few weeks ago?
Yummy, full of sugar... just like in my nightmares.
One of the vendors at Mitsuwa was offering the drink, and even though I think in Japan it'd probably be considered a "girls drink" (consider Ranma with his parfaits), I purchased one.
On the vendor's advertisement picture for Bubble Tea there were a couple of flavours listed. Among the ones I recall seeing in the picture were Mango, Melon, Green Tea, and Taro.
Not being a fan of the first three, in-so-far as I don't care much for ever drinking milk combined with a syrup that has some relation to the flavour of which they are named after, I thought I'd take a bet on Taro, as it had a bluish tinge in the picture and blue drinks tend to be good. I asked the woman at the counter what Taro tasted like, and she said, "Sweet."
Sweet?
Yes, that was the only way she could describe it to me.
I figured "sweet" couldn't be such a bad taste to have so I asked for the Taro flavour. As she went to prepare the Taro Bubble Tea I noticed that they actually offered a much wider variety of Bubble Tea flavours, like the trusty "Banana." Oh, how I now wish I had seen that earlier.
I knew that I was in trouble when I asked my Japanese language teacher and the Japanese exchange student who had come with us if one one of them knew what the "Taro" flavour was, and neither had any idea.
The taste of Taro Bubble Tea is hard to describe. Its like tea, milk, coffee, and a brief hint of some almond or coconutty flavour mixed together. Some of you may think that a mix of all those flavours sounds excellent. You've got problems. I dislike all of the last three, and I only rarely drink the first, so it was a combination of everything I never want to drink. I don't know what I was expecting, but I couldn't point out to the lady that she was wrong. Of course its going to be sweet. What else could it be? I salute you, person at one of the food counters in the Mitsuwa food court, you sure put me in a corner with that one!
By the way, I found out after a quick search on Google that Taro is a root "similar to sweet potato." So not only does it have sweet going for it, but its also got that great "root" power too.
Never again.
Onto more description of Bubble Tea. One of the first things you notice when you get the Bubble Tea is the huge straw. This is so you can drink the little black balls at the bottom. You may think that you're not going to get to them until the end, but those little black balls have other plans for you. They demand to be sucked up right away, and you must oblige or they and their comrades will come to you as you sleep and destroy you.
Full-sized versions of the experiment can be obtained by putting your mouse pointer over the graphic and pressing down on the left button.
When I got home, after the SWEET Taro bubble tea had sat in the car for several hours, I decided to get a better look at those little black balls. Note the fact that the bubble tea in the picture above is effectively full. This is how much I enjoyed the SWEET, SWEET Taro taste. Note also that it had gone from being slightly bluish to this odd extremely light purple, and now a few hours after those photos, is a dark purple.
To your left you can see a little tapioca ball split in half. Their innards consist of a muck which remind me to the ungodly insides of "Good and Plentys." You know, that one Halloween candy that you never ate.
I also wanted to see what the exact ratio of demonic balls to sweet liquefied root was, and you can see the result. There were actually quite a lot of them.
If for whatever reason you still desire to drink one of these so you can be like your favourite Bubble Tea obsessed blue haired senshi, the ingredients can apparently be ordered from here. And if you happen to order the SWEET Taro flavour, I humbly request that you cease attempts to breed. Thank you.
That's it for this installment of "What the heck are the senshi doing?!" The current tally is Jupiter's recommendation: 1, Mercury's recommendation: 0.
That's also it for today's PGSM-relevant info. I've got some other thoughts on the Mitsuwa trip and I'll write them up here for those who are interested, but you should stop reading now because I think you're not going to be interested.
-----------------
Like the other pictures, full sized version available. As far as sentence structure goes, this Engrish actually makes sense. Its after you finish reading it, and wonder how what they wrote has anything to do with the food, that it hits you.
Mitsuwa is a Japanese supermarket chain. The one near me (in New Jersey) is also part of a complex with Kinokuniya (a Japanese bookstore) and a food court that offers a number of Japanese and Asian dishes. My Japanese teacher likes any excuse to get there (as long as she doesn't have to drive) since she's quite far away so whenever I offer to drive her and the rest of the Japanese 4 class (only 3 people in it), she takes me up on it. Today we also went with one of the school's exchange students.
When we got there, the first place we went to was the Kinokuniya bookstore. And the first thing I went to check for was "Road for Major but I didn't see it and left the CD section. I then looked around to see if they had the new Sailor Moon manga releases in stock, but surprisingly, they didn't have a single one. (Not that I was going to purchase it, I just wanted to see if they were selling them.) The kids magazines, though, had the live action Sailor Senshi plastered all over their covers, surrounded by Pokemon, Digimon, (yes they're still popular) and a few anime characters I didn't recognize. All of the magazines said something to the extent of "The giant hit, Sailor Moon!" although I didn't purchase any of the magazines because none of the covers said what they actually had inside in regard to the series. (Probably a few pictures we've already seen, and that's it.) The stationary store next to Kinokuniya still had a few Sailor Moon World writing pads and coloring books in stock, but I didn't need any more. And there were no Sailor Moon foods in Mitsuwa (I keep hoping they'll get Sailor Moon curry back in stock, and they never do) which was disappointing.
Given the fact that everything but magazines at Kinokuniya can be purchased from Amazon JP for significantly cheaper, there wasn't really any point to buying anything from there, but its always interesting to look at some of the American books they have translated into Japanese. I picked up Famitsu Gamecube because I always get that when I'm there, went to the pay counter, and found the "Road for Major" CD I had been searching for earlier.
I spent way too much money buying overpriced junk at the supermarket, but most expensive was the meat for sukiyaki. This is a dish you often find in anime, which generally has a pot seated on the table in which is a boiling 'stew' of sorts with mushrooms, bamboo shoots, etc. And usually the characters fight over the meat in the dish, because beef in Japan is ridiculously expensive. (You know, because "Japanese stomachs are slender and so they can only eat beef from Japanese cows." That's a real argument that was once made! Its true!)
I figured, "Hey, this is America, beef is plentiful and cheap here." But Mitsuwa said, "No, we want you to have an authentic Japanese experience." $20 a pound for sukiyaki beef.  How much does gold go for these days?? I got one of the smaller packages.
 I wanted to get a close up shot of the cake, but my digital camera is the worst camera that exists and every picture turned the cake into a white blob.
Unfortunately I didn't find many good Engrish products this time around. Sure, there was the classic "Crunky Cookie"  and other such fun stuff, but nothing so off the wall that it demanded purchase for its writing alone. The "Petit Cake" product above was purchased because it actually looked good, not so much because of the Engrish. (Surprise, surprise.)
My teacher bought something close to 30 boxes of Natto. Fermented soybeans- most people hate them. Not having tried them, but having seen and smelled them, I already agree with those who declare them evil. I still don't understand how someone can like them that much. I also got "Taiyaki" (fish-shaped waffles with sweet- but fortunately not Taro SWEET- bean paste inside) for the first time, and they were very good. I think they'd be better with syrup rather than bean paste, though.
As a thanks for driving there the teacher bought me a couple of Japanese cake slices. You might think, "well what's so special about cake?" The cakes they sell in this supermarket tend to be really elaborate, and expensive. I think in one of the R episodes of the anime, the girls went to a Japanese cake shop.
One of the slices was "coffee" flavoured and another was "green tea." Why would people want cakes that taste like roasted beans and dried leaves?
With the other cake slice, though, I have no idea what it is. The frosting is chocolate and on the top is some sort of plumb or apricot, and next to it a chocolate twig of sorts.
In between the slices of cake and creme are thin slabs of what looks like jelly but what I think now is a fruit.
In general its okay but I can't figure out what actual taste it has. Everything still tastes like Bubble Tea to me. (That damn, SWEET Taro ruined me. Whatever I eat or drink currently has this scent of Bubble Tea to it.)
Looking forward to going to Mitsuwa again, as always.

Comments :

0 comments to “Live Action Sailor Moon update (Interview with Shibue Jyoji)”

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Who's your favorite VAMPIRE KNIGHT character?

Total Pageviews